Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Our Experiences at Panel


Now that we’ve been through Approval Panel twice, I wanted to put down in writing some of my thoughts about our experiences. This may prove harder than I imagine because it will require me thinking back to our first time at Panel, which seems ages ago, but we’ll see how we get on. And this is actually my second blog post on the topic of Approval Panel – if you want to get more an idea of what may be involved, have a read of my post Six Steps to Surviving & Thriving at Panel.

The idea of Approval Panel isn’t ever something that caused me great worry or stress. Which is saying something, because I do tend to easily get worried and stressed! (You know booking holidays? – worried and stressed. You know renewing car insurance? – worried and stressed. You know Opticians appointments? – worried and stressed.) But I think our first Social Worker, Sarah, made us feel confident ahead of panel, reassuring us that she wouldn’t take us to Panel unless she was sure we’d get approved.

First time round, Panel hearings were held in an office complex in town which has lots of meeting rooms that people can hire out, as well as a really nice café and some store front and workshop spaces for new local start-ups. It’s a decent building, fairly new-ish, and it felt comfortable and familiar. I suppose we probably went for a quick cuppa somewhere beforehand – possibly in the café on site – but I can’t actually remember. I can remember, as we waited to be called in, leafing through the information pack we’d been given, which contained a blurb about each Panel member, and trying to work out if we knew any of them. Nine years of living, studying, teaching, and going to church in the city meant this wasn’t as remote a possibility as you might expect, but I don’t think we found any familiar faces. 

So, in we went. We were nervous, certainly, but we knew what the outcome would be and so we were able to speak and respond with an adequate level of coherence. We got approved, so I guess we did okay. I think the paperwork was good and our PAR was very straightforward, which seemed to work in our favour. To my memory they asked us about why we wanted to adopt, and they also touched upon what impact our Christian faith might have on things, i.e. What would we do if, when older, an adopted child came to different conclusions than us about faith and God and morals. (A silly question, in my view: Obviously we would support and love them no matter what; how does their being adopted have any impact on this at all?)

After our time in the room with the Panel (quite large, as I remember it – around 16-18 people I think), we went and awaited our fate in a neighbouring room. We didn’t have to wait long for Sarah and the Panel Chair to come back out and inform us that the decision had been made in our favour. We were relieved and pleased. Obviously. Again I imagine we celebrated with food and drink somewhere, but oddly I can’t remember.

Things the second time round were very similar in terms of the process and the way the interview went. The venue wasn’t quite as nice – an old, strange, back-building in town that you access off a side door that feels like an illicit entrance into a dodgy mafia joint (a very mafia joint that bears remarkable similarities to a dishevelled library, granted). We waited for about forty-five minutes as the previous interviews had all run over. The waiting room was small and more cupboard than room, with a glass wall and a couple of chairs – not uncomfortable, surprisingly. 

Our Social Worker, Helen, had very sadly been taken ill and wasn’t able to attend Panel with us, but it didn’t matter too much. We were left in the very capable hands of a replacement who looked after us well. We actually got on with her far more naturally than we did with Helen, and I can remember us covering all manner of conversation topics while we waited. 

Eventually it was the interview itself, which went well, and the Panel members – fewer in number than last time, and squished, as I remember, into a similar sized room as the one we’d been waiting in - were responsive and interested in what we had to say. The Panel Chair came out to find us again, after their deliberations, and, rather than simply telling us their decision (a unanimous yes), he read out a long list of what had been deemed, amongst the members, to be our strengths. It was lovely! We were a “very impressive couple” – the only time we’ve been referred to in this way and one that has, you’ll understand, become common parlance (just between me and Hubby obv). Part of his feedback was also that the Panel members felt slightly hesitant about approving us for FFA, which was exactly right of them. The paperwork and our responses in the interview itself had obviously been clearly communicated, because the two us also felt/feel hesitant about FFA. So we felt valued, listened to, understood, and interested in for the first time, pretty much, in this whole process. How strange that our visit to Panel would prove to be the most positive part of the adoption process. 

So there we have it. Two different experiences, similar in multiple ways, at Approval Panel. Both with the same outcome; one a highlight, one a formality. I wonder if we’ll ever experience a third?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The birth of this blog

Adopting Again

Hello to anyone reading this! At the moment that's just me, but that's fine. I don't mind talking to myself. So...we're...